A new book from the History of Wargaming ProjectPosted: January 13, 2015
This book is 162 pages long and is split into the following chapters:
- Foreword by Larry Bond
- Reflections on Early and Modern Naval Wargaming by John Curry
- Lieutenant Castle RN: The Game of Naval Tactics (1873)
- Captain Colomb RN: The Duel: A Naval Wargame (1879)
- Lieutenant H Chamberlain RN: Game of Naval Blockade (1888)
- The Launch of the Fred Jane Naval Wargame at RUSI (1898)
- The First Edition of the Fred Jane Naval Wargame (1898)
- Tactics in the Fred Jane Naval Wargame (1900)
- The Strand Magazine and the Fred Jane Game (1904)
- Bibliography on Early Naval Wargaming
I have always enjoyed naval wargaming, and was partially responsible for the re-publication of the 1912 edition of the Fred Jane’s Naval War Game Rules by Bill Leeson and the 1905/06 edition by John Curry. I have also reproduced (and demonstrated at SALUTE) Lieutenant Chamberlain’s GAME OF NAVAL BLOCKADE.
I am looking forward to reading this book as I have never seen the text of Fred Jane’s 1898 edition of his Naval War Game rules, particularly as the rules were the reason why he produced his ALL THE WORLD’S FIGHTING SHIPS (1898) in the format that was discarded in later editions.