Going Loco: Part 6: An armoured wagonPosted: December 30, 2014
I removed the wheels (as usual they popped out quite easily) …
… and I then used a razor saw to carefully remove the false wheels that were moulded onto the carriage’s wheel flanges.
Using the moulded line just below the windows and the front of the raised section of the roof as a guide, I carefully sawed part of the top of the carriage away from bottom half.
I then removed the glazing bars from the remaining windows …
.. which I then filled in from the inside with pieces of thin Plasticard.
I then glued two long pieces of plastic strip inside the top of the carriage to strengthen it and to provide something to glue the platform of the armoured wagon to.
Once the glue had cured, I glued two short pieces of plastic strip inside the front of the raised part of the carriage to strengthen it and to provide something to glue the new front of the cabin of the armoured wagon to.
Once the glue had cured, I carefully cut two pieces of Plasticard to the right size, and glued them in place so as to form the platform of the armoured wagon and the front of the wagon’s cabin.
Once the glue had cured, all that remained to complete the model was to glue the wagons armoured skirts in place. These were also made from thin Plasticard.
At this point I had hoped to add a gun turret of some kind to the armoured wagon, but as I had nothing suitable to hand, this will have to wait until I can.