HMS SevernPosted: November 6, 2014
We arrived at the pier in plenty of time, and whilst we were waiting a Metropolitan Police launch went past us at high speed …
… and a tug – the Svitzer Laceby – also made her way past the pier … going astern about as fast as she could sail forward!
Almost bang on time, HMS Severn sailed around Margaretness from Barking Reach into Gallions Reach.
In a matter of minutes – and escorted by another Police launch – …
… HMS Severn was past Woolwich Arsenal Pier and well on her way towards the Thames Barrier at Charlton.
It was then time to go to leave the Pier and to go and get warm!
HMS Severn’s characteristics
- Displacement: 1,700 tonnes
- Length: 260’ 10” (79.5m)
- Beam: 44’ 7” (13.6)
- Draught: 12’ 6” (3.8m)
- Propulsion: 2 × Ruston 12RK 270 diesel engines driving two controllable pitch propellers; 280kW bow thruster; 185kW stern thruster
- Speed: 20 knots
- Range: 7,800 nautical miles at 12 knots
- Complement: 30 (with accommodation for up to 50)
- Armament: 1 × Oerlikon 20 mm cannon; 2 × 7.62mm general purpose machine guns