Latest Funny Little Wars publications arrive!Posted: August 28, 2013
FUNNY LITTLE WARS was originally published in 2009, and is on sale from ‘The Virtual Armchair General‘ for $40.00.
The book is divided into seven chapters, seven appendices, and several extraneous sections.
- Chapter One – An historical introduction to H G Wells
- Chapter Two – Playing Little Wars Yesterday
- Chapter Three – Playing Little Wars Today (including sections on: 1. What You Need; 2. The Basic Points System; 3. Levels of Command; 4. Victory Points & Objectives; 5. Troop and Figure Types; 6. Basing Your Figures; and 7. Formations)
- Chapter Four – The Basic Game (including sections on: 1. Basic Precepts; 2. The Game Turn; 3. Movement; 4. Charges; 5. Artillery Fire; 6. Small Arms & Machine Gun Fire; and 9. Melee) [I don’t know what happened to 7. and 8.!]
- Chapter Five – Optional & Advanced Rules (including sections on: Orders & Dispatches; Unknown Terrain; Morale; Quartermasters and Supply; Aerial Observation; Engineers/Sappers; Signalling; Bands & Chaplains; Spies; Field Hospitals; and A Word on Umpires: The last Word)
- Chapter Six – Some “Top Tips” for the Better Sort of Chap
- Chapter Seven – Two Classic Scenarios
- Appendix A: Building an Army
- Appendix B: Figure & Accessory resources
- Appendix C: Suggested Bibliography, Further Reading & “Talking Motion Pictures”
- Appendix D: A New Use For The Garden
- Appendix E: The Army Lists
- Appendix F: The Shape of Games To Come
- Appendix G: A Funny Little War from the Sidelines
- A Last Word
- A “Well Done You All Round!” to These Splendid Chaps!
- The Roll of Honour
- Game Playing Aids & Record Sheets
LITTLE CAMPAIGNS has only just been published, and it is also $40.00 from ‘The Virtual Armchair General‘
The book is divided into five chapters, six appendices, and several extraneous sections.
- Chapter 1 – War Game Campaigns
- Chapter 2 – The Map Campaign System: A Simple Model
- Chapter 3 – Some Enhanced Rules for FLW
- Chapter 4 – The “Ferree-Wilsonian” Computerized Video Battle System
- Chapter 5 – A Campaign Example, “The Herring War, 1908”
- A Last Word And Some Sound Advice From HGW
- Appendix 1 – Additional Army Lists
- Appendix 2 – Miniatures Sources
- Appendix 3 – Top Tips for Titivating Terrain
- Appendix 4 – A Lady’s Complaint
- Appendix 5 – “Mentioned in Despatches …”
- Appendix 6 – Game Record Sheets
LITTLE CAMPAIGNS also comes with a LITTLE CAMPAIGNS GRAPHIC SUPPLEMENT.
- A four page mock-up of the ILLUSTRATED LONDON NEWS that relates the history of “The Herring War”
- The copies of a campaign map
- Four sheets of map counters (two in red and two in black)
The LITTLE CAMPAIGNS GRAPHIC SUPPLEMENT is also available from ‘The Virtual Armchair General‘ for $12.00.
As yet I have only had the chance to skim through everything that arrived today, but there appears to be a lot of stuff that will be of great interest to me.